Thursday, April 26, 2012

Abbie is the new Normal

I need to be less reactive to the ups and downs. Should be used to them by now...but they're very hard to accept. Peg rallied later today, we hung out as a family, and watched "Glee." A long way from the pit I found myself in this morning, when it felt like she was slipping away while she was in a deep sleep.

Helped to hang out with our friend Bruce this afternoon. As we were walking his dog, we were bombarded simultaneously with a wondrously huge whiff of honeysuckle. We turned to each other and smiled.

"Nice, huh?" said Bruce. Yes, on many levels. I felt like I had just shaken off a deep sleep.

When I was a kid, I was imprinted early (as an odd duck) with a preference for being alone.  A combination of having a good imagination and not "fitting in."  It's a model that's not serving me well these days.

Something shifted today for Peg and me. An awareness that Abbie Normal is now the new normal, and that it's not helpful for either of us for me to be freaking out.

Peg is not freaking out. She's just freaking amazing.




No comments: