Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Our sweet Peg is gone

I went to sleep around 2:30 this morning, and Jeanette and Marianne came back to the house at 4. At 5 Mer called me into the living room, where Peg's breathing was becoming labored. We sat with her as she took her last breath at 5:15.

Jeanette called the women's group, and everyone was at the house by 6:15, so when Zoë awakened there was a lot of love in the room. We were held in the deep embrace of women who love us, and who loved and cared so much for Peg. They sang "When Love Comes Home."

This is hard to write. It just seems unreal.

Thankful that Peggy passed quickly. Her poor belly was so distended that if she'd been conscious the pain would have been unimaginable.

Marianne isn't leaving until tomorrow. Zoë is home today. Jeanette is here. We're all exhausted, physically and emotionally. Today started out as a blur and it's still blurry.

I'm staring out the window, reminded of when Peg and I found out she was diagnosed with cancer, almost three years ago. She and I stared out at the world, knowing ours would never be the same.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart is broken.
Eric, you couldn't be a more loving and supportive husband and father.
I am amazed at your strength.

I shivered twice this morning and felt Peggy's passing.
I'm looking for dragonflies.

All our love,
Marge, Claude, Michael and Ben

Jill said...

sending our love
and holding you and Zoe from afar

Jill & Mark

S. Baxter said...

I am saddened and relieved that Peg has left her painful body and is soaring in the beautiful sky. She was a wonderful woman and the dearest friend. My thoughts are with your entire family.

Good-bye, Sweet 'Wifey'. I will miss you and always love you.

Suzanne

Joyce said...

Peg = love

Anonymous said...

Eric, my heart goes out to you and Zoe. The world is a lesser place without Peg. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Roberta

Anonymous said...

Love you guys.
- Lynea

Anonymous said...

All of my love to you and Zoe. It is unreal, but the world grew a few degrees colder in the breeze of her wings this morning.
- traci

Candice E said...

Holding you and Zoe in my heart and feeling such profound sadness. I'm so grateful that Peg's bright spirit is free now. You have been a wonderful husband to her--she passed from this life having been deeply loved, what a priceless gift and rich blessing.

fishharddierich said...

Eric, you have been a blessing to our family for 25 years and counting. The three of you are deeply in our thoughts. Words are inadequate so will sign off. M

Sarah Geist said...

Nothing can be said that hasn't been said above - I too feel the profound
sadness for all but especially you Eric and Zoe. You all are loved well and may everyone's best wishes help you continue on this difficult journey. Love, Susan G.

Anonymous said...

Dear Eric and Zoe,

Please know that I send you love and my heart is with you both. Thank you for being a wonderful husband and wonderful daughter to your amazing wife/Mom. Peggy is soaring now...free from pain...and will be with you always in spirit. Thank you also for making Peggy's final days so interesting...full of great times with family, friends, books, movies, rain days, trips to visit neighbors flower gardens, and on and on. Much love and hugs from Julie, John and Anna in Phoenix

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing "Peggy's Journey" with us. You guys are all so amazing. You have a wonderful circle of caring and loving people to support you as you go forward. We continue to think about you and send our hope, love and best wishes as you continue your journey.
The Kern Family

Dan Wilson said...

I'm so sorry Eric. Nothing I can say is enough... my thoughts go out to you and Zoe.
-Dan W.