Friday, July 10, 2009

Ahhhhh... how to lose 11 pounds in one hour


Eleven pounds is about the weight of a large sack of groceries.  It's also the weight of 5.150 liters of fluid, which is what Peg was relieved of this afternoon.  For the first time in 10 days, when our friends Paul and Traci brought us dinner tonight, Peg was able to sit up in a chair comfortably for an hour.

I apparently looked harmless enough they allowed me to be in the room while they did the procedure.  Originally it was to be CT guided (big machine, complicated, sedatives involved) but they were able to see the fluid with ultrasound and just gave Peg a local anesthetic.  The trippy part for me (see photo) is that the scalpels used in medical facilities look and retract just like the cheapo box cutters you find at Home Depot.  Maybe he was actually using a Home Depot box cutter...I was about 10 feet away and distracted by all the weird equipment.

Also for your consideration is what 5 liters of fluid looks like.  Take three 2-liter Pepsi bottles, pour out half of the third one and throw 'em in a grocery bag.  That's what Peg's been lugging around.

Fluid buildup like this happens as a result of the tumors causing a reaction and the trauma of major surgery.  It's unlikely it will build up like this again.

Peg self-diagnosed the fluid on Saturday, but our surgeon wanted to rule out other causes. Dueling doctors.  But I think he realizes he really needs to listen to Peg's concerns.  We're grateful for his surgical skills, but on patient followup, not so much.

Tuesday we meet with Peg's oncologist, who we really, really like.  I'll keep you posted.  In the meantime, after not eating much the last few days, Peg's enjoying her time in the "pie hole zone." Beats the crap out of Ensure and Pedialite. 

6 comments:

Dianne Pascoe said...

Am I to understand the a whole pie is needed right away. I am an expert at all things pie and would be happy to deliver. What is your pleasure? fruit pie? cream pie? chicken pot pie? Let me know.

Traveling Mom said...

Gee Peggy you had a built in floaty! Wow 11 pound loss in one hour must be some kind of record. I'm glad all went well and you can enjoy sitting and eating a little more. Rest well. Love to all, Jeanne

Mirabai said...

Peg looked so uncomfortable with all that fluid roaming around in her. I am SO glad it was removed and she is finally getting some relief and can eat a real meal. GO PEG! Phyllis

Ernie said...

Peg - keep this secret of rapid weight loss under cover as the all the Hollywood types will start to check into Sutter to have the same procedure!!!

Love and Prayers Ernie and Vicki

Lori said...

I'm so glad to hear that all went well and that you'll soon be smiling and pie-eating your way back to wellness. In the meantime, to start the humor rolling, I'm emailing you (via Eric) a photo of a belly dancer that might add some humor and start to entice you back into one of your passtimes. (The photo wouldn't copy into this.)
Love,
Lori

klj3291 said...

I feel so intrepid, or maybe it's insipid?! I just realized that there's a whole bunch more to read if you "just" scroll down the side bar of this blog!! So now I feel caught up on the last three weeks and can wish you the very best in healing. Major surgery is just that, and it sounds like you have had a good GYN/ONC. You are blessed with quite a fan club, and I/we are honored to a part of it. I have always been a fan of Norman Cousins, so you should not be surprised what angle of "healing" I will be supporting. As I can not (yet) get my name to change from "Nickname unavailable," I will send all appropriate (and inappropriate) photos and items through him. Sleep well, rest, nap, laugh (when the staples are out and your midline is healed).
Love,
Kent of the Jacobs Clan (KOJC?)