Saturday, August 1, 2009

Can't have a bad hair day...

If you don't have hair. Yesterday Peg decided she was done with being the Johnny Appleseed of hair follicles-- strands scattered over the pillowcase, clumped like a small mammal at the shower drain, carpeting the bathroom floor. So our friend Trish, who did Peg's hair for 15 years, came out to the house and undid it. Peg is now buzzed, and we're not talking about cocktails.

Trish thought that with some really big hoop earrings and a black dress Peg could come across as the editor of a Euro fashion magazine or a New York film critic. If she doesn't want to go that route, she does have a cute wig.

She feels a lot better today. The key seems to be staying hydrated, so she's tracking her liquid intake-- miso soup, bouillon, juice, water. She's got an appointment to get tapped again Monday morning (paracentesis to remove abdominal fluid), so we're going to make sure her tank is topped off all weekend.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Hi all,

It sounds like quite a challenge, figuring out the fluid balancing game! Just about the time you have it all figured out, the chemo will be done and you won't have to worry about it. I'll cheerfully await that day to celebrate with you all!

Tons of love,
Lori

Traveling Mom said...

Hi all, I've been taking classes these last few months and the latest took me to Windsor, north of Santa Rosa for two weeks. It was called "Teaching Green": Bringing Nature into the classroom". It was great and has given me so many great ideas to make my job and learning connected to nature and the best part, more fun!!!! I just got back from attending a conference with 9 people I work with. It was in Seattle. I haven't really been to Seattle so it was fun in the evenings to tour the city with my co-workers. My favorite was riding the "duck". It tours the city and water and the driver is young, silly, and fun.

I have been thinking about cutting my hair shorter too. You have inspired me to do it. To be able to shower, step out and not have to do the "hair thing" seems liberating. You have turned a negative into a positive by getting a buzz. I have learned an important lesson since I have been single. You can either be a victim or take charge. Taking charge feels so much better.

There is no way, Peggy, for me to understand what your experience is. But I do know that I am so proud to know you and you and Eric have always been an inspiration to me. You both know how to embrace life in a way that most people miss out on.

I love you and look forward to spending time with you when your life becomes peacefilled again. In the meantime you remain in my thoughts and prayers. Love, Jeanne