Thursday, July 16, 2009

Day Two (part one)

Don't freak out-- this is not a photo of Peg's setup, just some weird thing I snagged off the Web. Her IV drip has three dispensing units contained in a gizmo the size of eight lunchboxes lashed together, about four feet off the floor on a six-wheeled stand.  It weighs a lot.  But Peg pushes it down the hallways for exercise, and pulls it into the bathroom sans assistance.  She's determined to do as much for herself as she can.  Peg's no weenie.

Today, at her request, we brought her an art box with Sculpey and tools, a sketch pad and colored pencils, and a portable DVD player with assorted chick flicks (her beloved "Pride and Prejudice," "Sliding Doors," and "Shakespeare In Love").  

As I write this, she's getting the second infusion of chemo, which is a direct chug-a-lug into her abdomen.  She'll lie on her back for a couple of hours, shifting positions every fifteen minutes. This is where the rubber meets the road, or more accurately, where the chemo meets the tumors the surgeon felt he couldn't remove safely during the surgery.

Needless to say, we won't miss the little bastards.

3 comments:

Lori said...

Hurrah! Part One is almost done!

Soooo....Pride and Prejudice! I remember being forced to read that in high school and finding it sappy, but deciding to re-read it when my kids did, to see whether I'd missed something. Wow! I was so drawn in by the first chapter that I relandscaped a garden on the side of my house and set up a little terrace table so I could sit there every afternoon and sip tea and read another chapter, while gazing at the passing butterflies and our lop-earred bunnies hopping about! What a treat it was, so I'll send that happy thought on to you, and maybe you can teleport to my perfect Jane Austen reading garden for your viewing! I wish you happy DVDing.

Tons of love ((((and hugs)))
Lori

Marjorie said...

May the force be with you dear friends,
Marge

Dianne Pascoe said...

Crafting and DVDing. If you lack projects, I have many UFO's (un finished objects.) If you need chick flicks, we've got them too and an array of others.
Glad that you are in a top notch place with new decor. The green tile of 50 years ago needs to go.
Dianne